- Sedona is a nice little town between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon. Sedona’s main attraction is its array of red sandstone formations, the Red Rocks of Sedona. The formations appear to glow in brilliant orange and red when illuminated by the rising or setting sun. I see the rising Sun about twice a year, so I can only testify that the red rocks looks great during the setting sun. The Red Rocks form a popular backdrop for many activities, ranging from spiritual pursuits to the hundreds of hiking and mountain biking trails.
- Local Marketing BS claims that Sedona has areas where the Earth’s magnetism is said to have special properties. The claim goes that there are 5 of these New Age vortices – located at Bell Rock, Airport Mesa, Cathedral Rock, Boynton Canyon, and Schnebly Hill. Local businesses will give out free maps with the location of each Vortex shown. You can take a vortex tour from one of many local guides, or hike to the sites yourself. Look for cairns marking the vortex sites. YMMV.
- Local and Nearby attractions:
- Take the scenic route on the way in. The drive on 89/89A from Prescott to Jerome to Sedona is pretty good. Jerome is a unique little town in the mountains, definitely worth visiting. It also offers great views of the Sedona Red rocks.
- Shop and dine at Tlaquepaque (ta-la-kee-pa-kee)
- Walnut Canyon National Monument – Must See
- Petrified Forest National Park (34.815237, -109.865316) and (35.065618, -109.782224)
- Out of Africa Wildlife Park
To-do for next time
- Hiking through red rocks
- Bell Rock (34.80613, -111.76632)
- Montezuma’s Castle (34.61139, -111.83848) (MUST SEE)
- Chapel of the Holy Cross (34.83249, -111.76582) – Must See
- Sedona Airport Overlook (34.85285, -111.78953)
- Tuzigoot National Monument
- Meteor Crater National Landmark (35.03308, -111.02281)
- Walnut Canyon National Monument (35.17195, -111.50914) – Must See
- Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument (35.36283, -111.51880) and (35.37148, -111.49016)
Pictures taken with a Canon T3I and 18-55 and 55-250 kit lenses. No filters were used. No post-processing was done.